Saturday, November 20, 2010

Shakespeare Scenes Project

I just came up with a good idea, that I presented to Dan. Him and I are going to make a few Shakespeare scenes together, and have the Calleros/Tucker administration shoot them, gorgeously.

Points of interest:

1 - Few young actors these days are trained to decipher 400-year-old language
2 - There's so much material to work with
3 - Plenty heavy drama or hilarious comedy
4 - NO COPYRIGHTS. It's Shakespeare!
5 - We're all creative, talented, hardworking pros living in the same town
6 - We can have guest star actors!
7 - Alex and Michael make amazing works of visual art
8 - Locations: Beach, Mountain, Forest, City, Country, it's all right here.

Ok ok, I'm suffiiciently excited. This has the potential as an idea (an epiphany!) to become something that really lifts off the ground (I mean, even outside of Shakespeare there's Marlowe, and Jonson, and others ) and most importantly it's so different than the crap that's being written right now. The filmmaking can stay the same, but it's the writing that makes all the difference. Plus, honestly, not a lot of classically-trained actors in this town. Mixing that with high-quality filmmaking makes me terrifically jived.

Now let's see..

So I'm researching here Shakespeare duets to start off with, that Dan and I can make happen. Its impossible to search for Shakespeare online without having to pay $$ to someone! Maybe I need to dance my day away through the big fat folio of Complete Works I have sitting in my storage to produce a few scenes that can be used - at least I could discover the more obscure ones that nobody knows about..

There's thousands of pages of Shakespeare, hundreds of characters. It's a freaking gold mine for actors and creators alike, Prewritten award-winning scripts just waiting to be produced? I think so! Even the worst Shakespeare play tops the cream of today's writing, especially if portrayed properly.

So I need to get to work.

First assignment: find Dan and I's first scene. Which should it be?

Mikie

1 comment:

moonshinejunkyard said...

this sounds amazing. can't wait to see the outcome.