Thursday, November 18, 2010

Movies

I watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince tonight for the first time - it was a viewing party with some old friends that I dearly miss.. one in particular.

Movies are really starting to fascinate me again.. Actually, a lot of things are - particularly stories with sweeping stages and stakes. But the movie, here's a medium we all in the past few generations have worshipped since childhood. And I think it's one of the greatest manmade wonders of the world, the movie is. What happens to us for those 120 (plus or minus) minutes is a lucid, out-of-body experience that is unmatchable in entertainment. Unlike stage, where it's very difficult as an audience member to believe the situation is real, a movie actually transports your consciousness into an alternative universe for that small period of time. We relax into the work and choices of the actors and creators and are free to sit back and just believe everything that is laid out in front of us. It's completely incredible.

Tonight as Dumbledore plummeted to his demise (sorry for the spoiler) somebody in the room was teary-eyed. Look at this business! Talk about art, when was the last time a product made you feel something. Movies, as products, can be fine-crafted works of honest art by talented professionals trying to make a living making their art. It's not just for the money, though it can be. But the really good ones, the ones you remember as a kid or talk about with your friends, those are the movies that make me proud to be giving my all to an industry that literally affects and often changes lives. We're all people, and movies are a universal human conversation. I freaking love it.

I sound like the Insane Clown Posse doing that Miracles song right now.
Look it up on YouTube, I refuse to link it :)

maybe I'm just happy to feel something again

Love. More love. Joshua Tree in 6 hours.

Goodnight

Mikie

No comments: