Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Money

People get weird about money. Seriously, It's got to be one of the most uncomfortable subjects for most Americans to talk about.

So I'm gonna write a blog about it. Get ready to squirm.

Money amazes me. I have very small amounts of the stuff, but from my little social vista (overlooking vast valleys of independent wealth, spoiled young, year-round blossoms, volcanos bubbling up in all-consuming clouds of golden bills and fashionable automobiles) I can only ask myself, "whaaaat???"

Let me clarify.

You know what I'm talking about here. That guy who rolls up in his 2010 Porsche Carrera, steps out in his perfectly-coifed collared shirt with two busty women in LBD's on each arm, stiff hair and smoothed brown skin pulled tight around his chin under eyes that frighten you as he passes by, then two seconds later a homeless man with misshapen legs and a crooked walk saunters next to him in spit-covered jeans browned with dried muck and soot, wobbling under two lazy eyes gazing separately, humming an indiscernable tune from his wrinkled, shrunken chin and withered neck, smiling. You double-take between the rich man and the homeless guy, scrunch your eyebrows and think "whaaaat???"

Very whaaaat-worthy. No wonder people get uncomfortable. Because there's such an intense discussion, a world-wide can of worms just waiting to be popped open at a moments notice.. but nobody talks about it.

What if Carreraman had to spend a day in Homelessman's shoes, and vice versa? Homelessman would probably enjoy the experience, but would Carreraman? probably not.. why not?

I think Fear. My conjecture: Carreraman is scared to death because, even though he has lots and lots of money, he's afraid that someday he'll end up just like Homelessman (a terribly foreign and therefore negative thing). Maybe in a NY second he'll be felled to his knees and find himself crammed between the trash cans and waste water of the city streets with ownership over nothing. For Carreraman, this is a terrifying threat, and so he fights harder and harder for financial Kingship to avoid his own harsh reality. It's about survival for him.. he wouldn't survive in Homelessman's world because he's just not strong enough.

At the same time so saunters the Homelessman in his baseness without a care but for where he'll find his next beer and bit of leftovers. He can go to the beach tomorrow, sleep wherever he likes, sing at the top of his lungs, leave town at his leisure, play all day long and make friends with everybody. Total baseness, and total freedom.
I mean, who gets to live like that? Sounds more like a life of luxury than baseness.
Something only reserved for the richest men in the world.

So which is which?

well, I don't know. Just thinking. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I largely avoided the sore spots.

Mikie

1 comment:

Papa Dan said...

Mikie, I recommend a book that I have been reading called "same kind of different as me"--It is a true story that I know you (or just about anyone) would really like. It relates so much to your blog above. Without giving out too much, it is about 2 men each growing up into totally different circumstances. One is a black guy that grows up poor and ends up on the street and the other guy is a college educated person who earns big bucks selling art. They're stories come together in a beautiful way. Maybe you could check it out at a local library (like I did) or just buy the paperback. It's about the best book I've read lately. Anyway, hope all is well. Love Dad