Thursday, July 1, 2010

summer anthems

Since summertime is inching past its early stages and getting closer to that delectably melty and sunburnt gooey center we all love to enjoy so thoroughly, I figure it's time for some good music.
So I'm on the lookout for new bands or an album (or two) that I haven't heard yet to sing along to as anthems during our hot and heavy summer of '010.

For example, I've just pulled up Alkaline Trio's most recent installment on my iTunes and purchased the first track "Calling All Skeletons" to see if I'm sold. Of course, with Alkaline Trio I am an easy sell, having been an avid listener since the late nineties when brother Matt introduced them to my eager, cauliflowered ears.

But beyond Alkaline Trio, I know there's some great music out there that people must be listening to. Iron and Wine or Eddie Vedder used to hold the top two slots on my go-to playlist. Lately it's been only Jack FM. ONLY. Sorry Jack, but I need new tunes to chant bellowing and shirtless from my magenta unmuffled hard-starting dirt machine! Something uplifting, something that will create nostalgia from this time for years to come, to help our minds finally move beyond the month-old echoes of "rah rah, oh ma-ma" or "sweeeeeeet dissspooositiiooon" or "ohhhhh oh the sex is on fire!" We need new summer anthems if we're gonna make these upcoming months of eternity stop time as usual..

In other words: please suggest me your favorite albums/songs/artists as of late. The time is now

Mikie

1 comment:

Joseph Beatty said...

yo i might have some suggestions. theres a couple of neat records ive been listening to lately.

ryan bingham - mescalito (or) roadhouse sun

ryan bingham was in crazy heart and cowrote some of the songs for the movie. he is a good songwriter.

also, check out songs: ohia or magnolia electric co. murder by death just put out a new record that i am waiting on in the mail, and this band called local natives i just bought their record and they are extremely talented.

youd also really probably dig this band called manchester orchestra. check out their most recent album called mean everything to nothing.

new band of horses album is cool too, called infinite arms.