Friday, April 3, 2009

the wanting comes in waves

Check out the new Decemberists' album. I've been obsessed with it (just ask Candice, she hasn't heard the end of my excitement). Basically, Colin Meloy created a sort of rock opera that celebrates and condemns love and its amazing. His songs blend together as one cohesive story about a few circumstances, mostly having to do with a pregnant maiden, a fawn-boy, a forest mother and a foxy knave, all intertwined through some seamless use of the english language. Colin Meloy keeps you immersed, and if you listen very carefully you won't be disappointed by the graceful abundance of alliterations and poetic devices - and blended with music throughout - it's like watching a movie in your mind to the tune of Meloy and his ladies' wonderful voice and instrumental fusions.
OK I just wanted to rant for second, because I loved it. I went to and came back from LA this week, and listened to the album (along with Taylor Swift) a good few times.

LA is fantastic, by the way. It's a wanting city of waves, full of people who dream someimes too big. I still have slight doubts when I visit, but they're subjective and fear-based. Because at the same time I have a strong desire in me to keep trying new things and meeting new people - and LA is a great place to do just that mostly safely.
I don't know. But I really want to sink my teeth into something right now, something juicy and delicious, that will feed me insatiable urges. Where's blabe. Blabe?

2 comments:

heather said...

wonderful. can't wait to give it a listen. and are you coming up to placerville????

mattbeatty said...

It is most definitely a great record.