Saturday, April 18, 2009

Storylike Fantasy Blog

For the last few days, I have found myself in scenarios where I will come up with some really profound idea that I want to write down - and I'll be driving so I can't. Now, I don't know if you've ever tried to write something down while driving, but its virtually impossible. Your handwriting is sub-standard the quality of a three-year-old, and the thoughts have to be arranged between frenetic braking and swerving. So what pretty much happens is, I don't write the idea down.
Although sometimes I do, and gladly so.
How many times have you had an earth-shattering premonition, or hummed a virally catchy tune that you improvised, and wished you had some way of recording or writing down in the moment so you could remember forever? It happens to me quite frequently, actually. Say, for instance, I'm walking downtown any downtown I'm in and looking up at the trees or across the street at total strangers. I'll have a thought about the color of their shirts or the function of leaves on a tree, then that thought will take me to another thought, and another until finally I'm in another land filling me with wonder of the things I've never learned about before. Then with my fresh perspective and experience-laden youth I am free to dream up a solution to timeless problems that no man nor woman has summoned, so with brilliance lighting my eyes I think, "this is it! I could really expand on this! I have found the clue, the cure for all the pestilence riddling mankind- this is the savior of ideas!!" Excitedly I'll walk along, riding the wave of enthusiasm, smiling smugly at the strangers, knowing that I know, and someday they too will know of my genius, so close, yet so far away, and they'll cry with their arms outspread, "Thank you! Thank you for saving us! You've brought light where once was darkness! Now we are free and can live alongside mankind and nature alike in harmony!"
Then within minutes I'm distracted by a crosswalk and the rims on a fancy vehicle stopped behind the white lines. So our minds move on to all the rest of petty daily life, forgetting these lost moments of heightened revelation.
Don't you just wish that in these moments we could stop time and write a whole book of thoughts for others to think too? The book would include the entire thought process, from what triggered each question to the final and total conclusive realization that each of us have, for each conclusion we come upon each day in our minds. Then everybody could have a chance to understand where we're coming from, and maybe where we should go. I wish there was a device that could transcribe thoughts into words and words onto paper without language to catch us inbetween.

Alright, enough of this crap I should probably go to work. Or on a bike ride. And realize the meaning of Life all over again.
Peace.

1 comment:

heather said...

i love this; this kind of thing happens to me all the time. except perhaps not on such a grand scale...but great ideas nonetheless that are swept away by that endless and excessive train of thoughts, thoughts, thoughts, whirling whirling whirling. my question is this, in regards to the last little part...do you really think we have thoughts without language? or are those thoughts not framed by language impressions and feelings? like what babies have before they learn to talk? i think maybe it is like language but also completely different.