Sunday, March 29, 2009

I'm confused

I don't know why but I like the smell of spring and summer so much it makes me sad.
I have some confusion inside that I can't really get out right here but i think it has something to do with each of us doing things for ourselves. If everybody brought a different dish to the potluck that they liked then dinner would be far better than if everybody brought dishes that they thought would please the masses. But this is a matter of opinion. My trouble lies in my uncanny desire to spend more time figuring things out. I had a great talk with Dove at work today about art and acting. We came to the conclusion that in art, humans are making an agreement with one another, saying "you and I, we're not different. I am the same as you. Now here's my interpretation of what we both see." That's art to me. Dove took it a step further when she brought up acting, saying that acting is a person leaving themself to spiritually be somebody else. I said to that that the way I think is more scientific: acting is a person's ability to adapt to a given set of circumstances, and that's what makes humans stand out as amazing. We as creatures have a natural ability to adapt to any class or environment. We can literally be any thing or any body we choose to be. This is what makes an actor an artist, his or her ability to recognize the adaptation and manipate the circumstances so he or she will adapt most truthfully into the "character" or scene portrayed. It's why all actors and artists get so upset and so full of strain and despair - we believe our environments so completely that even when a problem's made up we find some way of believing it true and then we worry about it as if it were so. This isn't a bad thing, it's a skill to be harnessed in many layers. It's what I try to remember, that I'm just a blank slate like the rest of us, adapting daily to the circumstances I've chosen for myself. It's hecka fun, isn't it?

1 comment:

Susan said...

The change of seasons always make me a little melancholy at first too Mikie. You have such a gift for writing. I can't believe how talented you are in so many areas? I don't know if the path I've chosen for myself is hecka fun. Sometimes it's fun, others it damn hard. But time marches on and I just make the best of what I am today. I love you son, I am so proud of you. You give my life such joy! Momma (Thanks for being with me on Easter, it made my day!)