Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pizza Delivery vs. Acting

Recreational sports are a lot of fun. I really do enjoy spending time with friends or even strangers playing some kind of organized, physical game that requires my full attention. I wish I could do it more often! I want games.

Games. I like games, and game-like thinking. What does this mean? I don't know if it has to do with the creative drive, and that I'm slightly addicted to wanting a creative personality, but I love to be told scenarios and stories and then be given the freedom to figure out what to do. See, that's this weird thing that I've always known about myself: I love to be given the circumstances because I enjoy acting within them. But I have a significantly difficult time making up circumstances on my own. I'd rather be presented with an opportunity and take it. It's like school! I got some of the best work in my life done in school. I was 150% dedicated, I was on-time and committed, and I got the job done to the absolute best of my ability. Why was this? Because somebody else presented me with a set of circumstances, gave me viable options for paths to push through those circumstances, and finally set me free to make choices on my own. I then seek out the least-likely-yet-secure route and start driving towards my destination. I think this is also why I enjoy pizza delivery, or serving, or even acting. You're given a set of circumstances with a foreseeable outcome, but it's up to you to decide the route through which to get there. A script, for example, is a starting-off point, but also a finish line. In the process of learning and performing a script, you discover paths and traverses halfway through that bring you to higher understandings and more complex thinking. Same with pizza delivery: there's always the basic route that gets you to the house. Sometimes it's obvious, other times you have to do some mathematics. But as you take the same routes you start to make connections with other streets, and eventually discern new paths that lead to quicker, smoother and more interesting drives. All to the same house, all eating the same pizza. It's pretty amazing.
That said, I couldn't toss a pizza if you put all the ingredients in front of me. In the same way, I've never had the balls to write a script. I just want to perform, or drive. And choose my pathways. Is this laziness? I sort of think so. But why not be lazy, you know? We're all lazy, laziness is gelatin and we're a big bowl of grandma's fruit salad.
Anyway, that's my blog for the day
Adios amigos

Mikie

1 comment:

heather said...

VERY INTERESTING. i wonder...i do think you have the balls. you should invent your own show. i think it could be a wild success, no joke. darin and stan's prod co, will film it and air it on cable. you have the most energy and drive of anyone i know. LET's PUT THAT TO USE!!!! although even within the parameters you seem to do JUST FINE!