Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What's funny?

There's about fifty other things I probably should be doing besides signing onto my semineglected blogsite and posting a stream of consciousness.

But you know what? There's only ONE of Me. And this is what the One Me has chosen. My life is a dictatorship and thou shalt bow to my wishes.

Anyway, I just got finished swimming.

I know this might sound strange, but: There's a shortage of good comedy in our world today. There's a significant slight of funny, ridiculous, exposing comedy. Not to say there isn't any, because clearly we have a few fine television shows and several hilarious pundits and talk show hosts. But now enough.

A couple days ago, Jimmy Fallon started his stint as host of The Late Show, replacing Conan O'Brien (who went on to replace Jay Leno in the Tonight Show).
This switcheroo wasn't such a bad thing - I can imagine Jimmy Fallon taking it up and maybe being fairly successful. But at the same time, that's the problem here: Fairly successful. I fear this show will be mediocrely OK, enough to satisfy the producers and general public, but nothing outstanding or fresh; just another general rehash of talk shows, with a pretty-funny host talking about regular world situations. No big deal.

That's where we have a shortage. There is little funny that I know of that is a big deal! Honestly, American Idol is a bigger deal than Jimmy Fallon's chair switch, and the only funny part of that is Ryan Seacrest making fun of Simon!
So anyway, I'm just putting it out there. Where's the good comedies that actually mean something - I want more Office, Arrested Development, Extras, Cosby Show, Cheers, John Stewart, Conan, Tim n' Eric, Little Miss Sunshine, As You Like It, Trainspotting, etc - I want more.
I largely don't respect standup artists because they're frivolous and their comedy stinks. I want the good stuff, and a LOT MORE of it! Heck, I bet Barack's even funny.

Blub,
Mikie

4 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Conan is my secret lover!!!! I could use more of him. I likie the new bloggie!

mattbeatty said...

Some nice thoughts. I also love Conan. I think Conan's brand of humor represents the "funny" you're talking about--he's a little edgier, knows no bounds, self-deprecating, just does his thing--as him--and it's funny. Anyway . . .

You finished swimming. Where? How much? I love swimming, and try to do a mile at least twice a week. It's rhythmic and soothing and pulsing and pounding and I like it.

heather said...

migs i agree. i think humor SAVES! it is the key element to everything about life...never taking anything too seriously. that is why i love tim and eric and they can get away with so much, because they realize that everything is at least slightly and probably very ridiculous and just realizing that and showing it off is funny enough! but a lot of comedy falls flat because it doesn't have real life in it, it isn't willing to go to the limits like you said, and get into people's real hearts because of truth.

we saw Synecdoche New York yesterday. crazy. pretty serious, but also, wonderfully funny. you should see it; i want to talk to you about it!

love you.

did you get my email?

Mikie Beatty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.