Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dreams and mint leaves

It's superbowl Sunday, which is virtually meaningless to me. This homemade cup
of sumatra is more exciting.

Writing. There's plenty to write but nothing to say. I'm staring at my seatless bike chained to a white metal fence overgrown with roses, I'm sitting on a cement patio crosslegged and shirtless, there's a ruffled pile of doggie blanket by the door, the sun is at full warmth, the sky white blue yellow and clear.

And I literally JUST discovered an overgrown bush of mint leaves sprouting at my left, right where the patio ends into sidewalk. This is 3 feet from my doorway. Excellent.

Last night I had a dream that I had to get stuff out of Candice's car from in front of her house in Vacaville, and it was around 4am. Her dad was just waking up as I was on the secret mission of exchanging our bikes (something in the dream we had previously talked about). I could hear her dad stirring around the house, saw the living room light come up in the early darkness, and even heard some of his laughter. My heart struggled with a desire to run inside and say hello..I even felt a sort of longing for his approval. It was weird, like a comfortable feeling of a lost home.
I ended up switching over the bikes quickly, just as Lucy came dashing out and the sky was blushing rose. I grabbed my backpack and sprinted down the street, looking back the whole time to see if she would follow. She just turned and found something interesting..

It was one of a few crazy dreams I've had this week, random ones. Things that hang in the back of the mind like a movie left on pause and the TV turned off.

Well I guess I should do laundry and get my superbowl festivities on, whatever they might be. I miss my family and their awesomeness. Now that I'm getting settled in this new house, thoughts of the loves of my life keep coming back. Family, you guys are the main ones. Wherever you are, I love ya.

Here's to mint growing 3 feet from my door :)

Mikie

2 comments:

moonshinejunkyard said...

mikie i love you. your life sounds like a dream and the mint is the icing on the cake. i have been having crazy dreams lately too. wish you were here to talk about them with all of us at our writers' group, especially given the fact that you are a true poet soul. miss you, love you.

Papa Dan said...

Ah Mikie. What nice things to say. I miss you, but I'm glad you have a pleasant home to go to. Boy it was a nice day today (Sunday) almost 70 degrees. I hope you are happy and are doing great. We all miss you. But I do see you on words with friends and that's fun. Hey I had a dream the other night (and I hardly ever remember them) and I was riding a bicycle downtown with a huge American flag attached to my bicycle. That's about all I remember. Guess I'm pretty patriotic. Ya I am