Wednesday, December 30, 2009

two rivers

I see two rivers rolling down
the canyon valley walls
each billowing with silver curls
over rocks and waterfalls
I stand flat-footed, firm aloft
deciding which to brave
knowing the snaking length I choose
will be my teacher, change my ways

My single raft
contrived of tweed and twine and amber glue
remains an unscathed shiny vessel
waiting to be used
The morning sun is glistening
all twinkles in the rivers' tongue,
and time is scarce to idle
there's a river must be run.

So raising up my earthbound boat
I scurry to the shore,
a bank that rests between both rivers
which do I ignore?
Swiveling my head between
the dancing water troughs
it's time to choose a river now
I've minutes to set off.

The safer of the rivers, calmly eddied beckons me
with sweet soft spinning whirlpools
in clean water churning quietly.
The other of the two erupts
in rushing vats of white,
a monster pounding past me
turning quickly out of sight.

The dangerous and risky
or the safe and steady side?
which river to commit myself to
which river should I ride?

No comments: