Wednesday, September 2, 2009

...about the Rx Bandits

Rx Bandits

I thoroughly will forever dig this tireless, timeless band. They have put together some of the most influential and incredible music to have graced my ears and brain. For the third time in my life, I watched them play this past weekend - at the El Rey Theatre in Miracle Mile of L.A.
A few things. First, they came in after two bands who had already rocked the scene and set the bar pretty high. Obviously, though, I was under no impression that the pharmaceutical boys would do anything less than blow the openers out of the water. And in a way, they almost did.
Here's my number one: the band is no longer quite the same. They used to consist of all the same players, plus horns. A huge part of the influence comes from a ska-ish punkish style, and the horns are an imperative part of that sound. If the music on the records heavily includes these unique instruments, you'd think the live performance would also (automatically, even) include them too...nope. No horns. In fact, the highlight of the actual "band" on stage wasn't Matt, nor the keyboardist nor bassis, but the drummer. Now, his drumming is something unmatchable and I recognize the complexity and freedom in his talent. He has created the backbone for all these songs, and keeps the Bandits' universe glued into rhythmic reality. Unfortunately, the drumming is not what highlights the music on the records. It's a part of it for sure, but not the priority for listening to the tracks.
Matt's singing, however, is a major highlight of their music. Matt's lyrics and signature voice make up a major part of the enjoyment factor for these guys. He swings and slings his words in a poetic tonal beauty. He creates lyrical images that he raps and rhymes to with a struggling beautiful flow that you can't help but dance to his beats. Based by the records, you feel like he's leading band rather than the band leading him.
Live now, and also somewhat on the new record, the band no longer backs up his songs but rather he seems to share a lot of his prowess with the others. There's more instrumental and far less singing in both his new record and the live show. I understand, since he clearly believes in equalities - especially among musicians - but it takes a toll on the listenability of both the record and the live performance. I missed him actually singing. Sure, he played along and watched his brothers rock too, but he sang maybe 25% of the time. The rest was spent not singing his lyrics by letting the audience sing them, or jamming through the verses and choruses with the other players, neglecting the lyrics. This total venture away from the recorded shows me either they no enjoy playing their songs, or they have just forgotten them, and it kinda pissed me off. The boys and girls who wish so avidly to participate in the music are now listening to totally new (which can be cool) and totally foreign unmixed jargon boiling through the PA system in blips and blurry guitar riffs that are surely fun to play but much less easy to listen to. Highlighting the drummer is good only in that it distracts you from the unbearable blaring of a crappy soundsystem. At least on the record you can differentiate by ear the keyboards from the guitars.
I'm getting a little off-topic. Don't get me wrong, they ROCKED. But for a $50 show and a professional band, I was slightly disappointed that the hornplayers were not present at all (I know the trombone quit, but still, NOBODY?) and that Matt hardly sang any of his own lyrics..something I love their music for.
The good parts:
I loved the drumming. I found the mixture of Americana and tribal ritual a perfect way to connect our modernity with the roots of a more primitive and simply way of life. I loved the jamming. I think it's great that a band can feel that communal understanding in their talents, feeling the thoughts and rhythms of eachother in sound and movement. I enjoy watching it mostly because their music have been so influential for me as a person, so to watch them create in a semi-structured environment fills me with a tad bit of wonder.
Unfortunately, I fear that Matt may have lost some of his sway in my mind. I appreciate their harkening back to the 60's and the free-loving, pot-smoking jamming of the times. But they have completely converted to that style, while playing Rx Bandits music. It's a little weird, to be honest. I used to look up to these guys as leaders in the popular world, sacrificing some of themselves so that they can be heard and accepted on a larger scale. Nowadays, I feel much more distance. I don't see their relevance as much. It's like, they found their niche and now they're enjoying it. A good thing to realize one's self..but our world moves to fast and I worry they may get buried. I hope they stay relevant, that's all. They are still for me, because I remember who they used to be so clearly. I still feel the intentions in Matt's lyrics and the band's ideals. I still completely agree with almost everything they stand for and talk about. I still completely love the Rx Bandits.

That's all.

1 comment:

mattbeatty said...

A little defense here: they only (post-Progress) ever had a horn section with two players: sax (Steve Borth) and trombone (Chris Sheets, used to be Rich Balling who now produces and mixes and does other stuff with them still). Steve quit right after the last album was recorded, so they've been touring with *only* a trombone player for 2 1/2 years. It was a staple to only have one horn player (that's how it was the last time I saw them). Then he quit recently, and they decided to slog forward with no horns, rather than have to find new players to learn all the songs and teach their very very intricate stylings to (that's my take). So it's not their fault, and the four of them hold up extremely well without them, in my opinion, it's just a slight progression (nothing wrong with progress, eh), a change, life.

The new album was a little off-putting to me at first. Less harmonious, fewer obvious melodies, lots of math and jamming. I listened once then put it away for a couple weeks. Then I found myself in the car with no other cds and it went on repeat. For days. It's still there. So so so good. Try it again, force yourself to spin it multiple times. here are the best tracks: My Lonesome Only Friend (pretty traditional rx bandits), Hope is a Butterfly (great dueling guitar work), Mientra La Veo SoƱar (a little Spanish never hurt, the chorus is so good!), March of the Caterpillar (some Oingo Boingo influences, rockin), Bury it Down Low (totally classic rx bandits, with horns and excellence), Breakfast Cat (sounds crazy at first, but SO intricate and amazing, the intro blows my mind every time, I start and restart this song just for that), The Operation (ending especially, got that rockout jam vibe they do so well), Bring Our Children Home (gotta admit it's good, great chorus, great message, great jam ending).

I just realized I listed almost every song. Listen to it again! and again. I want to talk about it with someone. I guarantee it's great, not just me "getting used to it," I think it's nuanced and requires repeat listens.

there still are a couple songs with horns recorded. they're like "guest horns" now--and they most definitely still work.