Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hoping and dreaming

To jump up a ladder? Impossible.
by Mikie Beatty. Written July 29th, 2006

You hope, and you dream, but you never believe that something's gonna happen for you.
Not like it does in the movies.
And when it actually happens, you expect it to feel more visceral, more real.
-The Beach (Leo's character)

Hoping and dreaming is never believing. You have to know, not hope. Because when you know, you don't need to doubt - because in knowing you realize the truth and realities of a dream. A dream is a perfect fantasy, where every piece of the pretty world is under your control, in your mind. To hope is to long for that perfect world you've materialized into your "dream" (be it consciously or no). But to know, you take that dream and apply it to the reality of your life.
What's incredible to me is how much hoping and knowing cross paths based on the choices we make. But only based on those choices. What doesn't surprise me is when hoping vs. knowing rarely-to-never cross paths when the circumstances are left up to chance and luck. Because honestly, luck exists not in this world. To get what we want, we have to get what we want. We can't live our lives waiting for a hand to feed us our dreams - the hope and dream of it all is only the prologue into the first of many long steps towards happiness. I have had my share, my damn lot share of hopes and dreams. And you know when I finally have felt like I'm getting anywhere in my life? When I've gave up on them, on those hopes I've had. As my yearnings drifted away, my conscious self (having been trained by Me since a child to always keep manipulation and control in the back of one's mind) allowed the reality of things to take over. And once I realized my true path, and the true true truth behind where I might actually stand in light of those hopes, I knew two things: 1 - that if I ever wanted to really get on top of my dreams and realize them it was going to be a lot of bloody exhausting "smiling" difficult work, and 2 - that I actually for the first time in my life see a windy twisty treacherous pathway on which I might really have a chance to get what I've hoped for. Like the bastard says, "and glut my pleasure that till now has starved."

To be frank, I don't know exactly what I'm talking about here. But I guess what has brought these things to my mind is that I've been living for the past 2 years in and around people who have hopes, dreams, and a lot less discipline than anyone I knew even back home. It's funny how college can either make or break a person, and in the end it really shows as to who's the dreamers and who's the makers. Well I gave up on dreaming, because you know what? All my dreams are right in front of my face - there's no other dream than the sweet real life we're all living every day. So what we get bitch measly parts in our shows? It's because in order to be the best, you have to start out knowing you're the bloody worst. There's no way to jump up a ladder; you have to climb and climb, especially if that ladder is filled with people all sharing your hopes and dreams. It's a meticulous road, and graceful art, to be Honest in this world. And if there's one best possible tool to ever accomplishing anything - most notably, to ever achieve any sort of goal, dream, hope or otherwise in our lives - it's the majestic powerful demonic tool of Honesty. It will get you your dreams, tear up your lives, and sew a sweet precious unshaking future for all of us.
Happy Saturday all,
Live, love and be honest. Here's to you hopes, dreams, and realities.
*mikie

No comments: