Monday, June 29, 2009

oh bitter boy

Well I'm just back from 100+ degrees, making the overnight transition to 50+ degrees. Candice LOVES hearing this (not), about how much I thrive in hot temperatures and only function at about 75% in anything-less-than between the months of June-August. What IS that? Why am I so stuck on hot weather all the time? And you know what, it's not just Summer either. I could seriously go for some 85-90's anytime of the year. ANY time.
I don't know what's happening genetically in me that makes it so difficult for me to adapt to colder climates, but I think I'm becoming more aware of it as I'm getting older. Or is it in my head? No, no, there's a definite difference in experience, say, if I were playing Zelda in 50-degree weather or 100-degree weather, in the same house, on the same day. For the first, I'd be hungry and feeling anxious. The second, I'd be basically nude and smiling.
I'm just charmed by hot weather. I could bask like a piece of dried fish with all it's smell burnt off and nothing left but crispy carpskin peeling and tinting in the fiery summer sunshine. I could waddle in endless bathtub water, squinting in delight under a sweltering cap of violet and deep blue skies. I could sing and swim in the river at dusk. All year long. Give me hot/dry weather, and the happiness for a long and swimming life. Heat = longevity.

4 comments:

Papa Dan said...

migs i am SO WITH YOU!!! it drives me so insanely crazy to be in places where people think it's "nice" out for summer and it's like 75 or 80 degrees. you seriously need to go to the tropics. i have been dreaming about the dominican republic, making me KNOW FOR SURE that darin and i need to take a trip there. we might go in like october. you should go to chetumal with me someday and be drenched in sweat all day long. the only problem is it gets super cloudy too but no less hot. still it is so good to swim and frolic in the hottest of weather.

you know what, it could actually be something about getting older. darin used to think of himself as a "winter" type of person and dreamed of living somewhere in the snow. now he absolutely thrives in hot weather. he can take a bike ride or a run in the smack dab middle of the day even when it is over a hundred out. he loves it. he likes to mow the lawn and stuff like that right in the heat of the day. i am so happy about that development because i am obviously a sun worshipper.

well we'll see you down there TOMORROW and the sun better shine for us! please lord no 60* days for our anniversary and let the fog burn off by noon!!!!

meet me at the boardwalk mister.

Papa Dan said...

whoops i don't know WHY or HOW i'm signed in as "papa dan" but this is heather, typing from my very own computer...weird!

Papa Dan said...

whoops i don't know WHY or HOW i'm signed in as "papa dan" but this is heather, typing from my very own computer...weird!

mattbeatty said...

Humans are more biologically adapted to hot climates vs cold climates. I too prefer heat over cold (and Amy most definitely does) but I like to try and enjoy both. Maybe that's just cause sweat blurs my eyesight.