Sunday, April 18, 2010

Health, Friends, and Love

Last night I worked for a solid 9 hours parking cars. Ahh The labyrinth of Hollywood Blvd's subterranean garages. It was a long night, some stuff happened.

First of all: I started work recognizing how wonderful my life is, a result of focusing lately on the things that truly matter in my future. So I'm running through the canyons walls of buildings and greeting the super-rich, with the hugest smile on my face. I ended up talking to Merrill, this very cute cashier that does our computer work, about life and theatre and how wonderful we have it. She's a fellow theatre student, so it was nice to talk about voice and diction and language again with someone who actually listens and responds. (believe me, there are few who care about whether you say "the" pronounced "thee" or more like "thu".. or "for" pronounced with a soft 'a' so it sounds like "far" and not "fer"). As I was standing there, I also looked around Hollywood and realized I'm becoming a member of its community. I thought back to my days in Santa Cruz, and how I forever felt disconnected from the community there. Like I was standing on a mountaintop overlooking everybody and despite my tries and calls I could never become a part of it. It's refreshing to know I live in a place now where people don't think they're better than the rest of the world...Hollywood's pretty humble and accepting in that way. Totally an unexpected surprise.

Then: people start rolling up. And by people, I mean the crazy rich young people who live to drink and ejaculate. And every move they make or conversation they have must relate back to that in some way. Now this is all well and fine, if you watch these people from a distant perspective and not try to ask them questions. But when your mission in life is to feel pleasure and you do so without any thought for the consequences, from the sober outside it is painfully obvious how, um, unsuccessful this lifestyle it. It hurts a little, seeing humanity in this state, although I'm pretty numb to it now. Now it's just funny, watching these people scream and fight, girls in uncomfortably high heels falling face first over the curb, men pushing each other around pointing their thick fingers and shouting angrily, women taking their heels off and screaming at their boyfriends but slurring every word, bros making show after angry show like blind 4-year-olds in desperate crying fits. Girls pulling their breasts out and shaking them around, guys puking and pissing in front of everybody while stumbling backwards..

Driving a black Benz around the backside of the hotel, I was at one point talking to myself, "I'm really healthy. There is very little wrong with me." Which led me to the recognition that I was in the right place and the right time. I'm stable, I'm energized and I can't wait to work more and harder. In other words, their debauchery was my inspiration.

The night ended with a 4 am breakfast with Andrew Fisher, at the Kitchen 24. He's a friend I've made here that's more honest with me than anybody I've known since college. And to boot, he's big in the acting thing. Excellent. Like I said earlier, my life is pretty wonderful.

But what about Love then? Where does that fit in?

Well..it doesn't. Not yet. I mean, I love my car, I love my iPhone, I love my home here and my family up North, I am in love with this gorgeous city and the mysteries I've began to unravel beneath it. And I love my prospects for acting. But I have no love. And I definitely want it, like I always have. There's plenty to do as it is, but I hope that on this train of work-for-reward that some good love will come along with it as well. If Andrew Fisher's any example, there just might be hope for me.
:)

Mikie

4 comments:

moonshinejunkyard said...

all the loves you are talking about our beautiful. i like how that realization came to you while driving a black benzo around a parking lot. cheers to migsy land! do you know "pursuit of happiness" by kid cudi? lovin that right now.

Mikie Beatty said...

Never heard of it, it's a song?

Papa Dan said...

I'm glad for you Mikie. Still thinking about being on the river in a couple months?? Good blog. Great attitude!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you Mikie. I love the picture of you on your blogsite. Nevada. Miss those roadtrips. You sound happy and have such a great attitude. I am a lucky Momma. I love you honey. Keep on loving all around you and true love will find you in the end.
I miss you, hope to see you soon.
Love my precious son, Momma