Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pleasures

My pleasures.

1) Sitting in front of my computer for hours on end constructing a movie from my own homemade footage. It's like a puzzle, a game, full of twists and surprises and realizations. I love it!

2) Working. I absolutely love going to work, the daily journey of it, the feeling of satisfaction when you've accomplished each working goal knowing that your reward is both helping others and the "fruit" of money that you harvest by doing so.

3) Eating food.

4) Wilderness. There is no pleasure like standing on a rock's top and gazing out over the vastness of a countryside or mountain range. It fills me with a life that you can't find anywhere else. Have you been to the Grand Canyon's northern rim and looked out over the place? It's that feeling, only exemplified through any detached-from-humanity-while-in-nature experience.

5) Rivers. The best metaphor. I don't care which, it could run under a bridge through downtown Los Angeles and it still offers me pleasure. Rivers make me hopeful, they suggest that even in the thickest experience the water still flows away from a source and closer to a destination. They're our most organic examples: we live and flow from a source through rocks, canyons, valleys, eddys, dirt, but never stop. That's key.

6) Large Crowds. There aren't many who love the loud ugly fury of a large crowd of people. I prefer when there's not a commonality, like a concert or something, and it's just a huge amount of people wandering around in one area. Like a grocery store, or a bar, etc. Ecstacy!

7) Kissing. Nature's purified pleasure. I say no more.

8) Confrontations. As much as I always want to be right, I get sick pleasure from somebody disagreeing with me. It opens a door for communication, allowing a conversation and worlds of entertainment to unfold. The people closest to me are the people that argue with me. Hands down.

9) Rafting. It's like Christmas but better. Because you anticipate Christmas for a month, and then it's usually kind of a buzzkill. But with rafting, the buzz only heightens once you're finally out on the river, plotting your routine descent through Fowlers or setting up some crazy girl to "ride the bull" through Hospital Bar.

10) That moment before Action, or your "Cue". This is one time a stage actor and a camera actor are the same. You take one final breath, flash-review your mindset, and fully commit to being a new version of yourself. Of course, if you've done your homework the transition should be minimal to zilch. But regardless, there's a rush of pleasure in it.. like jumping from sun-bathed rock into a river in the sun: your insides are reminded that your outsides are in charge, and you smile and jump.
The higher the rock, the bigger your smile.
Penultimate conquering of the self. My Beowulf existence.


That's enough for now. Obviously there are many more,
but these struck me this morning.

Mikie

No comments: