Saturday, January 17, 2009

Slumkind of wonderful

Candice and I just went downtown to exchange some old shoes for cash, have a taco, and watch Slumdog Millionaire at the Nickelodeon. It's not a rare thing for a movie to move me, but it is for a movie to leave me feeling hopeful. Cheesy? Well I think this movie did just that for me; it triggered the potentials that linger in all of us for age-old romance, for rags to riches, for passion in friendships, for reminding me that even shit and filth can feel hopeful. It retold a truth I keep forgetting: the possibility to escape everything with the ones you love. The same sweet freedom we used to know so well as kids.
I hope that all of you get to watch this film sometime in the next couple weeks - it's a real piece of love.
Feels like you've touched the Triforce when you walk out.

3 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Wow -- Triforce Mikie! It must be amazing!

Susan said...

I want to see that movie so much! Everyone is talking about it. Of course we don't get great indie flicks like that up here, if we want to see it we have to go to Roseville or Tower. Maybe it will come up with the Independent Film Festival. I hope so! I'm so glad you and Candice got to see it. Love you both so much, Momma

heather said...

STILL waiting to see this movie. i've heard so much great stuff and the woman in it is so gorgeous!