Monday, November 16, 2009

my faith in Adventure



There's a new Zelda game coming out in less than a month. And it made me think:
where does this fit into the evolutionary food chain?
What part of our body/mind system grew into desiring to "get" a boxed video game? Why do we dare to transplant ourselves into game-overs and the risky adventure of these man-made alternative realities? Is it a sexual thing, like the lust for the fight? or just hunger pangs we feel?
Oh Zelda, you really have taught me to dream big. I get one little glimpse of your silver new box and I'm believing in Hyrule again.
I mean, maybe there really is a Dark World and a Light World.. maybe we should believe in Ganon and the Triforce. Maybe someday you will save the world.
Think of it this way: Cortez was looking for a mythological city that was only in fantasy books. Some native American religions praise spirit creatures that live in the forests and earth and sky. Whose to say those all don't exist, or that the Trickster didn't create the Earth? I might as well believe in Hyrule, because it's really anybody's game. Including Zelda's.
Mike Ryan said it best,
"find something impossible, then try to achieve it.. but you can never achieve the impossible, only get closer to it"

-migs

No comments: